How We Review the Safest Online Gambling Sites
Before we look at some of the most secure online casino sites, we’ll need to take a look at the reasons for choosing the sites. Below are some of the most important factors that we consider before recommending an online casino.
When thinking about security, the first thing that should come to mind is how the site protects user data and transactions. It’s become the standard for an online casino to provide the platform with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption and this makes it impossible for your data to be used if it were stolen by a hacker. The overall security of an online casino is usually
enforced by a licensing authority, but we’ll get into that a bit later.
Keep a lookout for certificates of security and testing that are generally done by third-party testing agencies. ID verification is another important factor as this prevents others from using
your casino account and it prevents underage gambling. Many online casinos have adopted 2-step verification and this will have a unique PIN being sent to your phone when logging into your account.
To secure your transactions with the casino, Transport Layer Security (TLS) is the tech that’s used by all major financial institutions, and many online casinos have adopted it to ensure that all transactions are safe and secure.
Licensing is one of the most overlooked factors when it comes to online gaming and this is what has made online gaming safe. Any reputable online casino can only be deemed as such if it has a license that’s been issued by a reliable licensing authority. Two of the most popular and reputable licenses are those that are issued by the Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission. For cryptocurrency casinos, licenses issued by the Curacao Gaming Control Board are just as important.
Any online casino that fails to present a gambling license is not allowed to operate and these are casinos that should be avoided at all costs. For a casino to be licensed, certain standards need to be met and maintained, and failure for the casino to do this will result in it being shut down. The key reason for you to look for a license is that it will be able to protect you in the long run.
For example, if you’re experiencing issues with the casino, you can contact the licensing authority and they will be able to assist you without any issues. However, if you choose to play at an online casino that’s not licensed, you could run into a host of issues such as winnings not being paid, and rigged games.
Auditing bodies are responsible for ensuring that you’re subjected to fair play at the casino you’ve chosen. This means that all games of chance are required to be completely random and any other game has to be fair. This is done by rigorous testing of the games and the casinos to try and pick up on any patterns that could hurt the experience of the player.
These audits are usually conducted by some of the most experienced third-party testing agencies, and this includes:
- iTech Labs – This is an Australian company that’s one of the best when it comes to the testing of independent software. iTech Labs specializes in the testing of online gambling systems such as those found in multiplayer poker rooms and online casinos.
- eCOGRA – eCOGRA (eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance) was founded in the UK and was the first self-regulation program that was made available to the iGaming market. eCOGRA offers two seals of approval to online gaming brands, such as the eCOGRA Certified Software Seal and the eCOGRA Safe and Fair Seal.
- GLI – Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) is one of the oldest independent testing agencies in the world and they can be found all over the world. GLI is known to test every possible gaming product in the iGaming industry.
Safe Payment Methods
Casino banking is an important part of the process and it’s a no-brainer that the payment methods offered by an online casino have to be safe. Below are some of the safest payment options:
- Credit/Debit Card Casino – Casinos that support the use of debit/credit cards will usually use encryption tech due to your information being linked to the card that you’re using. Fortunately, debit/credit cards are very easy to use and this method allows you to deposit and withdraw large sums of cash with very few issues. There are online casinos that have opted not to support this banking method due to slower transaction speeds when it comes to withdrawals; however, there are still plenty that chooses to offer it.
- e-Wallet Casino – e-Wallets have become the most popular banking method due to how easy they are to use and the speed of the transactions. However, e-Wallets have another desirable feature and that’s the lack of information that’s needed to be shared. Because of this, you won’t need to be concerned about your data being stolen as you’ve never provided it in the first place. e-Wallets are an incredibly cost-effective banking option and they also allow you to easily move cash in and out of your casino account.
- Instant Banking Casino – Instant banking services such as Sofort and UseMyBank are popular due to their high-level encryption systems and this means that transactions and personal data are secured. Some fees might be added when making a withdrawal and you’ll need to check your bank statement when it comes to that amount. Instant banking services are a great way to make secure transactions if you’re not sure how to use an e-wallet service.
- Prepaid Debit Card Casino – When it comes to depositing cash into your online casino account, few methods are more secure than a prepaid debit card. This banking method is similar to a standard debit card; however, you’re required to add cash to the card before you use it. This means that you can’t spend cash that you don’t have, which is a great way to ensure that you stay within your means. Furthermore, this banking method is very secure and you’ll never need to reveal any of your data when depositing cash.
How to Tell if an Online Casino isn’t Legit
These days there are a variety of scammers that will try to take advantage of you and this includes rogue online casinos. Below are some factors to consider when trying to identify a secure online casino.
- No License – The absence of a casino license is a huge red flag as it shows that the platform isn’t held to specific standards. This means that the casino, although not being allowed to operate, can do whatever it wants and this is something that has the potential to harm the player.
- Lack of Well-Known Games – One thing that many of the best online casinos NZ players can access have in common is the games that they have to offer. This is because they would generally feature games from the best providers and this means that many of them feature the same games. If you find a site that has games that are unheard of, then it’s a sign that it’s not a safe online casino NZ players should join.
- The Site Doesn’t Look the Part – A big part of the appeal of an online casino is the design and how well it works. If an online casino looks sketchy, it likely is and this is a site you’d want to avoid.
- Massive Bonuses – If a casino bonus is too big and the wagering requirements don’t match up, something is up. This is likely a rouge site that will try and get you to deposit cash that it will steal.
Safe Online Pokies NZ
Safe online casino games are as important as the site itself and an easy way to find the safest online casino games is to play games from a reputable software provider. This would include games from NetEnt, Microgaming, iSoftBet, Evolution Gaming, Yggdrasil, Thunderkick, and so on. Many of these providers have been audited by third-party agencies such as eCOGRA and iTech Labs and to be certain that they’re safe, check out the RTP rates of these games. This will give you a good indication of whether the game can be trusted.
Trusted Software Casinos
Casinos that feature well-known software providers are more than likely to be legitimate as the software providers that are featured on the casino have to consider their reputation. Legitimate software providers are unlikely to partner with a rogue casino and this is what you will need to look for. Brands such as Microgaming, NetEnt, Play’n GO, Big Time Gaming, and so on, will never be found at a bad online casino.